Thursday, December 9, 2010

I spy with my little eye

Learning the right portion sizes is one thing. Learning the right sizes and carbohydrate portions is another thing. It is amazing how many grams of carbohydrates are in a portion. Take for instance the innocent steel cut oatmeal. Usually I would eat one serving with fruit for breakfast. Unfortunately, I have just learned that one serving is 35 grams of carbohydrates…whoops. Considering the fact that I am restricted to 35 carb grams per meal, I am at a lost. If I cut the portion size, which is just a cup, in half and substitute it with fruit, I do not feel satisfied.

When I started this journey, I learned that a portion size was the size of my fist. So my protein, vegetables and starch were about the size of a deck of cards. Now with my handy scale, I feel that I am eating for a rabbit. Since I also have a slow thyroid, I need to make sure that each meal has enough protein.

I have literally been on an energy and carbohydrate rollercoaster for the past three months. I have now decided to turn to my trusty calorie counting and nutrition application for my meal planning. Of course, I have to rely on their database for food calculation or put it in myself. However, it must be done. Planning my daily meals at night is something that I can do when the toddlers go to sleep at night. Granted my snacks and other food are already portion sizes for quick meals but now I have to turn into somewhat a forensic eater.

Just think, I always wanted to be a detective ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment