Saturday, November 13, 2010

I love to walk!

Has it really been that long since I have been here? I knew I was busy but goodness the time has flown.

Yes I am still working on my dissertation..blah blah blah

However I came here to talk about my love of walking; specifically mall walking. I have been doing this regularly for the past couple of months. I have missed a couple of days for various reasons but I have been pretty consistent. Rain or shine, even if I am dead tired, I drive to the mall. Of course during my ride to the mall, I am going over all the reasons in my head while it may be better for me to go home and get in those extra hours of sleep before my little one comes back from school. By the time I rationalize it with myself, I am already in the mall parking lot and it would be such a waste to turn around ;-)

Anyhoo, I realize that my body likes it when I walk. I NEED to get out in the morning and do something. If not, I am dragging throughout the day. Given I already have a thyroid problem that is sapping my energy, it is imperative that I get up and do something every day. This is where mall walking came to life.

Where I leave, we have harsh winters and sometimes working out in front of the television gets boring. I could go down into the basement and do the cross training machine but it is so cold in the morning. So I decided to look for some place where I could just simply walk.

I found out that the mall down the street opens an hour earlier for walkers. I thought this was the perfect answer. Now I find that it is funny. Why? I am the youngest person among the morning walkers. As a matter of fact, I could be everyone’s granddaughter. When I first started walking, they sincerely thought that I was trying to walk fast to get to a store. However when I completed my first loop, they thought I was scanning the mall for sales. Now months later, I get waves, smiles and nods.

Here are some simple benefits about walking.

1. It prevents type 2 diabetes
2. It strengths your heart
3. It is good for your brain
4. It is good for your bones
5. It alleviates symptoms of depression
6. It reduces the risk of breast and color cancer
7. It improves fitness
8. It improves physical function
9. It is FREE!

When was the last time you had a good walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment