Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Carbs, carbs and more carbs

How many carbohydrates do you take in per meal? No I am not going on this carbohydrate counting voyage. I am just asking. Are you really aware what you put into your mouth?

According to my nutritionist, she only wants me to eat between 30-40 grams of carbohydrates per meal. I readily agreed because I thought that was a lot. Boy was I wrong. When I began to actually look at the nutritional data, I was consuming between 50-75 carbohydrates per meal. If someone is on a 2,000 calorie diet, the recommended daily intake is between 225 to 335 grams. If someone eats 5 small meals a day, that is only 45 to 67 grams per meal. Now if I decided to eat “healthy” and get a veggie sub from Subway that is already 45 carbohydrate grams. (I am getting this information directly from the website so I have no idea what is included in their calculations). If I add baked chips that adds 23 grams which puts me over the limit. This is what someone might do who thinks they are eating healthy. I do not even want to get started on breakfast.

Now I am making more conscious decisions about what I eat. My cabinet is basically empty of those “healthy” prepackaged snacks. They were not my friends. Of course some might say, well it is moderation and you are right. However, when you only have a limited number of carbohydrates to give per meal, you become very selective and find other avenues to fuel your body. This is how I discovered clean eating.

Clean eating is basically eating food in its natural state. Instead of fruit juice, now I have fruit and drink water with it. Instead of jar tomato sauce, I make my own. I am trying to eat food with its original color and form. Of course, I still have to watch my carbohydrates but now I do not really have to worry about extra salt, sugar and other factors that are in food. Do not get me wrong, I have NOTHING against prepackaged food or prepared meals. I am not putting down anyone who pops in a microwave meal from time to time. It is just at this point in time, that is no longer an option for me and I like it. I like discovering how food taste and looks. I like discovering how to cook new, fresh meals from scratch. I like how a fruit smoothie tastes with just fresh fruit, ice and water sans the fruit juice. I just like it and Clean Eating Magazine is helping me through this process.

I will share more later…me sleepy….nite nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment