Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Underactive thyroid

Sorry for the delay. The little one started school last week and with the battles between getting him to get on the bus and eating more veggies, I was too drained to write. But back to my “problem”.

I have an underactive thyroid which is medically called hypothyroidism. According to the Mayo Clinic, “Your thyroid gland produces two main hormones, thyroxine (T-4) and triiodothyronine (T-3). They maintain the rate at which your body uses fats and carbohydrates, help control your body temperature, influence your heart rate, and help regulate the production of protein”. In short, it controls my metabolism and affects my hormones. Since mine is underactive, I would say it is on a permanent vacation.

I am now on a synthetic hormone which reverses its effects. However, I do not want to stay on this for the rest of my life. I am currently looking for a natural solution so if anyone has heard anything, please let me know.

The “good” thing about my two conditions is that I HAVE to lose weight. Considering that my thyroid is affecting my metabolism, I really have to watch what I eat. Combined with the fact that I have diabetes, watching what I eat is now a norm for me. Did I realize something was wrong with me? Yes but I attributed to giving birth a year ago; I thought I was simply in a rut. I can truly say that it pays to go for your annual visit on time instead of pushing it back continuously like I did.

Now I have a longer road to travel back to health….but I am okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment